Continuuity decided to build Weave and be part of the journey to take Apache YARN to the next level of usability and functionality. Continuuity has been using Weave extensively to support their products and seen the benefit and power of Apache YARN and Weave combined. Continuuity decided to share Weave under the Apache 2.0 license in an effort to collaborate with members of the community, broaden the set of applications and patterns that Weave supports, and further the overall adoption of Apache YARN.
Weave is NOT a replacement for Apache YARN. It is instead a value-added framework that operates on top of Apache YARN.
What is Weave: Weave is a simple set of libraries that allows you to easily manage distributed applications through an abstraction layer built on Apache YARN. Weave allows you to use YARN’s distributed capabilities with a programming model that is similar to running threads.
Features of Weave:
– Simple API for specifying, running and managing application lifecycle
– An easy way to communicate with an application or parts of an application
– A generic Application Master to better support simple applications
– Simplified archive management and local file transport
– Improved control over application logs, metrics and errors
– Discovery service
– And many more…
Weave Source code is available on github at http://github.com/continuuity/weave under the Apache 2.0 License.
Learn more at http://www.continuuity.com/.
Keyword: Hadoop, Yarn, MapReduce, Big Data